Thursday, May 24, 2012

WIll anyone notice?

Today I took a "field trip" with Pastor Rhonda to Tabitha. We were invited by Chan Tyrell, Director of the Tabitha Foundation, to come meet with him and Deb, the Director of Volunteers. As we started out on a tour of the updated facility, I wondered what my role was to be and how God woud use a Children's Music Director for a tour of an Elder Care facility.  As we walked, Chan threw out facts and numbers. Intermixed with his sale's pitch was his passionate and humorous personality. He greeted every person we met as a long lost friend and seemed to know most by name… from the employees to the residents to the patients. Our tour was very informative and was filled with things that I had never considered.

At one point we were walking through one of the homes, and we came across a living area where two men were sitting in wheelchairs. A nurse was reading to them. As we wandered through the living room, I slowed down to eavesdrop. The nurse had asked rather loudly, so I guess I wasn't really eavesdropping, "What did Luke say about that?" One of the men exclaimed, "Paul! Paul and Barnabas were the ones…" I didn't hear the rest of the conversation, because at that moment I knew they were having Bible Study… together… she wasn't just reading to them, they were having a biblical discussion! I kept thinking "Gosh, when I get to that point will I remember the Bible? Will someone take the time to sit with me and read scripture? Will anyone notice that I can still grow in the Word? Will anyone care?"

Our purpose for visiting Tabitha today was to consider how Sheridan can be a better partner to this ELCA organization… Chan's purpose for inviting us was to better tell their story. Click here to see ways that you can be involved in this amazing ministry. And, I think I know where God wants me to take our next group of young musicians!

Blessings!
Julie Anderson, Children's Music Director

No comments:

Post a Comment