Wednesday, June 20, 2012

El Salvador, Part 4

Tuesday, June 19

Well, today was day 2 of actually working on site. I had a lot of trouble falling asleep, but once I did, I really didn’t wake up until the sun did. Wake up call came later than usual at 7 am, and yet I still stayed in bed for an extra half an hour. Oops xD

Today was interesting overall, though. We went and visited Villa Esperanza to see how everything is going since the project is finished now. The little daycare kids were cute as could be, and everything seemed to be in order in the community. Roger bought some rice leche bread called “quesadilla pan”. Then he bought 2 more! It was really tasty though, and warm even though it was delivered to us. Before we left, I had to make sure to buy LOTS of coffee for my parents, because the last time I was in El Salvador, I only bought one pound for them, and they thought it was fantastic!

Then we went to the work site, which is more like our new “home” for the week. We may “reside” at Hotel Sahara, but the Salvadoran family we are building this house for makes us feel like we really live here, with them. They are all so wonderful, and so are their neighbors!

The food has been very good too. I usually clean up when everyone else is full, which is normal, haha. Today we had steak. It was just a thin, flank steak I believe, but it was very good. I always rely on rice to fill me up, and bread to keep everything moving through my system.

The best part of today was our two meetings. We met on the roof, after we had showered and after some of us had gone to the local bakery. Apparently the prices were BEYOND reasonable, because they came back with a TON of stuff for less than $5. And just to be sitting on the roof of my favorite hotel on the planet, and all 9 of us, including Bri, just having a pow-wow over the day and the food we had just boughten, made me feel like our trip was a complete success. Because we were all a family together. And at dinner we just had a blast, playing Farkel and laughing together.

 I am confident that the rest of the week will hold many surprises and treasures that I will value for months to come.

Click here to see pictures of the El Salvador project.
Seth Pahre and the El Salvador Mission Team

No comments:

Post a Comment